Crosses of this type in the Middle Ages were placed over columns demilitarizing sacred areas. In the XII and XIII centuries in Bologna there were many of these columns with crosses. The following is a cross design in a book by Giovanni Gozzadini published in 1863.
In the basilica of San Petronio there are four mysterious crosses. According to a medieval legend they would have been erected at the end of IV century by Sant'Ambrogio of Milan in four important points of the city of then.
A popular tradition argues instead that the four crosses were placed a few decades later on San Petronio's initiative.
a cross in San Petronio church
Bologna in the Middle Ages had a good university and was home to many religious and secular organizations.
Two old towers (degli Asinelli and Garisenda) are the symbol of the city. The churches of San Petronio, Santo Stefano and San Domenico are remarkable.
BOLOGNA NEL MEDIOEVO